Office 365 shared calendar entries have creator’s name instead of original subject

Published by:

A client came to me recently and asked to set up a few shared calendars for their company through Office 365. Getting them set up was a bit of a process so I wanted to detail the entire thing in case you ever have the same issue.

  1. Add your Office 365 account to the Organization Management group
    1. Login to Office 365 administration at http://portal.office.com
    2. Expand ‘Admin’ and choose ‘Exchange’
    3. Under ‘Permissions’, choose ‘Admin Roles’
    4. Double-click “Organization Management” from the list of groups
    5. Scroll to the bottom, and add your user ID to the ‘Members:’ list
  2. Install the Office 365 and Azure AD PowerShell apps (even if you’re not actually using Azure AD)
    1. Download and install the Microsoft Online Service Sign-in Assistant for IT Professionals from here
    2. Download and install the Azure AD Module for Windows PowerShell (64-bit) from here
  3. Connect to Office 365 through PowerShell
    1. Run PowerShell as an administrator
    2. Enter the following commands, using your Office 365 login and password for the credential box on line 2:
      Import-Module MSOnline
      $O365Cred = Get-Credential
      $O365Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell -Credential $O365Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
      Import-PSSession $O365Session
  4. Update the shared calendar settings to not delete the subject and replace it with the organizer’s name
    • For each calendar you want to update, enter:
      Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity <RESOURCEMAILBOX> -DeleteSubject $False -AddOrganizerToSubject $False

Quick Tip: No execute permission on ” CodeUnit with ID 1

Published by:

This morning’s issue has to do with Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Specifically, we had created a new user in NAV but she was getting this error no matter which company she was trying to connect to. I had read about adding a User Personalization and while she didn’t have one up until now, adding one didn’t change that.

It turns out that in the process of adding roles for her, we inadvertently forgot to add the “ALL” role.

Once we added that role to her profile, she was able to login without issue.

Trying to get 2 different intraoral cameras working in DEXIS?

Published by:

Today I had a dental office who had a new machine setup for one of their operatories but needed both a regular video intraoral camera as well as a Spectra blue-violet camera set up in DEXIS. The issue was that the regular intraoral camera would always take precedence and never cede it to the Spectra. Turns out there’s a pretty simple fix for this, but it took a lot of playing around to figure this out.

If you’re trying to set up your op the same way, do this:

  1. Click on “DEXIS” at the top right
  2. Click the ‘Preferences’ button
  3. Go to the ‘DEXimage’ tab
  4. Change ‘Capture:’ to “Automatic” and ‘TWAIN-Camera:’ to “Intraoral Camera TWAIN Interface”

Now, whenever you want to capture an image with either device, just leave the other one powered off and when you open the Capture window, DEXIS will load the appropriate sub-app for that device.

Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

Published by:

Today I ran into an issue where a client had recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now his Start button wouldn’t work.  As soon as you clicked it, it would pop up an error stating “Critical Error – Start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Here is a list of the suggested solutions I was able to find online:

  • Open MSCONFIG and boot into Safe Mode; then immediately open MSCONFIG and log back into regular mode; DID NOT WORK FOR ME
  • Ran malware scan with MalwareBytes; DID NOT WORK FOR ME
  • Uninstalled DropBox; WORKED!

From what I could tell, I was looking in his Event Viewer and saw a number of references to a DCOM error 1804 specifically relating to the “WSearch” or the Windows Search service. I’m assuming that DropBox’s hooks into the filesystem were interfering with the Windows 10 start menu’s strong dependency on search being available, and so when those DCOM errors were being thrown, it was DropBox unintentionally preventing search from doing whatever it needed to do for the Start button to “just work”.

Luckily for me, my client doesn’t actually use DropBox anymore so we were able to uninstall it; immediately after uninstalling the Search service appeared in Task Manager and was clearly doing something which gave us hope that things were working again, which they were. I don’t know if reinstalling would recreate the problem, or if he was just running a very old version of DropBox which has a bug that has since been fixed.